Tuesday, June 10, 2014

La Pieta, Michael Angelo, St. Peter's Basilica, Rome


In class tonight I gave a presentation on this piece of art. We had to choose an artist from the Renaissance time period and a piece of his or her work. I looked at a lot of artists and pieces but this one stood out to me. I know that I have seen this sculpture before but today it moved me. I think it's because I am now a mother and I feel that it some small finite way I can relate to Mary. I love how real she is portrayed here, not with a crown or a scepter as you often see her depicted but as a loving mother. Her face is calm and serene almost with a confidence that this was Gods will for her son. She is bigger than Jesus and holding him in her lap which is just about as nurturing a position as possible. It doesn't tell us in the Bible if Mary had a moment like this but I really hope she did. I hope that she was able to hold him one last time...

No comments: